Saturday, July 28, 2007

Honeymoon in Hawaii, day six.

Dinner at Chuck's was good last night, but not how I remembered it. I guess since my last visit I've been spoiled with nicer Steakhouses like Mastro's, Fleming's, and Morton's. In any case, I felt as if I was coming down with a cold, so that might partially to blame. The atmosphere was great, the company even better (my new wife), but the food just didn't make it on my favorite-5 list. It ended up being a short night, right after dinner we headed back to the room to get some rest.

This morning we headed to the Moana Surfrider Resort, next door to the Outrigger Waikiki to be picked up for Kualoa Ranch. The name of the company, named after the mountain on which the ranch sits, is Hawaiian for "long back" which was given to the mountain for its distinct shape. We decided on a half day tour, which included any two 90-minute (or so) activities, which worked out perfect since it started raining just before lunch (on our Ocean Voyeuge).

This activity came highly recommended, and I would say that goes well deserved. Kualoa itself is really a natural wonder. It's apparent though that Hollywood has taken advantage of this phenomenon of a place, and not that I'm one to talk but between the movie props left in place and the explosives that have permanently disfigured the land, it's obvious this is no state park.



A couple impressions I left with. First, American, English speaking, tourists are far outnumbered by Japanese here. In fact, for each activity we were split based on Nationality (actually for the tongue the tour guide spoke in). And second, though convenient (and especially so after a long day I would imagine), the provided tranportation is a bit of a hassle if you're use to being in charge of your schedule. I would recommend driving and avoiding the package that includes lunch. While lunch isn't bad, it's not great either, and we finished about an hour ahead of schedule meaning we were waiting for the bus.

This is a neat place, and it's obvious there's a lot to Kualoa, and more than what you might remember from Jurassic Park.


We're off to satisfy our sushi craving at San Sei in the Waikiki Marriott.

No comments: